Finding the right mechanic for your car is crucial, as routine maintenance and expertly performed vehicle repairs will be key to the longevity of your car. But how do you know which mechanic is right for you?
- Check their certifications: Mechanics can earn multiple certifications. The most important is the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, or ASE, but some shops may also carry AAA or Automotive Service Association certification.
- Choose a make-specific mechanic: Often, dealerships have service departments with technicians trained specifically on the very makes they sell, making them more familiar with cars of that make.
- Read reviews: The internet is your friend when it comes to choosing a mechanic. Research potential mechanics and see how customers have felt about their experiences.
- But also check the Better Business Bureau: Go to bbb.org to see what formal complaints have been filed about mechanics you are considering.
- Ask around: Most of your family and friends probably own cars and get them serviced regularly. Ask if they have a mechanic they highly recommend; you could even post on social media asking for recommendations from your wider network of acquaintances.
- And don’t forget convenience: The world’s best mechanic probably doesn’t live right next door to you. Aim for a quality mechanic, but don’t force yourself to drive over an hour to see him or her.
If you’re car is beyond the help of a mechanic, contact us at Chip Wynn Motors and take a look at our inventory of affordable used cars.